Blue bird day for 5 of us on Evans.
- Micro-spikes almost right from the the West Canyon Parking
- We followed an old snowshoer's trail to Evans Lookout and then on to the shoulder of Evans
- Backtracked slightly and plowed a new trail though without snowshoes for another 100m to the final steep approach to the peak
- Ice axes came out here but no crampons since the snow was deep enough and we had enough purchase and kick stepped the hard icy sections with the micro-spikes (conditions change as you know so make sure you have the equipment you need to do this safely, snowshoes are not sufficient here due to the grade, bring crampons even if you don't need them)
- We cleared the hardest part of the hike to reach the beginning of a long peak which found us in knee deep snow... again we opted to bash through another 200m? to the memorial/peak without snowshoes
- Lunch at the peak and copious photos
- The descent was uneventful and fast
Total Time: 6:30 hrs
Moving Time: 4:45 hrs
Park Gate Hours: 8:00 am-5:30 pm (be careful of black ice on the road in)
Have fun out there and stay safe!
BC Peaks & Trails Hiking Group